Thread for Tadoku Sept '21 (Month-Long Round)

A thread for the latest round of Tadoku! Let us know what it is you’re reading and what your methods are - do you keep a highlighter handy for new words or complex phrases? Or are you using an e-reader? Do you look up words as you go? Read pages more than once? Let’s compare notes!

4 Likes

:wave:

Good idea for a thread.

After reading just under half of キノの旅 I decided to drop down a level and do some extensive reading. I found on books aimed for 中学校 and above (12-15 year olds), I have to look up a lot more words and thus progress slowly. I’ve heard this referred to as reading pain – when your comprehension is below 90%

So I moved back to graded readers and try not to look things up. I’ll highlight them and move on, later I’ll check what I highlighted and add a flashcards for the words. With キノの旅 I only added the most frequent words (there’s a lot of gun related words, that I probably won’t see for some time outside of that book!)

Ah, I read on an iPad mini and very rarely on my phone. Trying to keep my current streak going (29 days of at least 10 minutes!)

2 Likes

Right now, just started reading the Magic Tree House series. I live in japan, so i check out all the books from a local library. They have everything there i need to immerse myself in tadoku. My method is just to read and not look up words. I try to guess from the context of the story.

2 Likes

I’m currently reading AX by ISAKA Kotaro (hard copy, not kindle). I either look up words on my phone with imiwa or I use jisho.org. Also, I have the Yomichan plugin with Anki integration setup, so if I want to add a word to my vocabulary deck, it’s super easy. I used to use Epwing2Anki, but can’t use it since I switched to MacOS.

One method that I used to do is read a chapter of a book in Japanese, and then read the same chapter in an English translation.

2 Likes

I finished 小説ミラーさん2, a ~N3 graded reader. I believe a Minna no Nihongo student is meant meant to read the book after their “intermediate” / 中級 series.

It was pretty easy for me, with just a few unknowns so perfect for extensive reading. I didn’t find the story compelling, but it was a “must read” since graded readers at this level are few and far between. It was much better than the first book, but you can’t expect much from a book limited to ~N4 / Genki II grammar and vocab!

I’ve picked up きまぐれロボット as my short stories book and started another children’s book: 科学探偵vs学校不思議 for a longer read. Both seem to be at a similar level so I am hoping to keep up a good pace this month!

====

Interesting to read that people are using hard copies and not ebooks. I thought the benefits of ebooks made them preferable for language learning, but I get that the “real book feeling” is nice :smiley:

1 Like

Interesting to read that people are using hard copies and not ebooks. I thought the benefits of ebooks made them preferable for language learning, but I get that the “real book feeling” is nice :smiley:

I prefer hard copy to digital copy for books where I’m trying to learn things. This applies for Japanese books and also for technical books related to my work. My gut feeling was that I retained the information better when it was a hard copy vs. digital copy. I think some studies came out that supported this.

1 Like

Just finished my first full book of this round: 隠し剣孤影抄 by 藤沢周平. It’s a book of samurai short stories; the linking theme is ‘secret sword techniques’. I really like Fujisawa’s stories – he tends to focus on low-ranking samurai struggling to get by (and often failing – he’s not big on happy endings, especially in his earlier books like this one).

(If you want a recommendation, I’d start with 用心棒日月抄 which is really good and also has more humour and is less relentlessly downbeat. Fujisawa is not the easiest historical fiction author to read for the language student, but he’s a long way from the hardest I’ve encountered.)

I read books in paper form – this is mostly a preference from long habit but also partly that I think it’s easier to be distracted when reading on an electronic device. I have an old-school electronic dictionary (a Casio Ex-Word) which lets me look up words both by keyboard and by writing kanji with the stylus. I try to be sparing with dictionary lookups, saving them for when I fail to understand the gist of something or when the same word crops up several times.

I think I’ll read some Akagawa Jirou next, as a change of pace to something easy.

1 Like

Now you mention it, I remember reading that too… I can’t find it though, just a bunch of random blog posts, etc about it.

That’s is way above my level :laughing: I’d like to be able to read 三毛猫ホームス at some point, but it’s beyond my current level. I could read it, but I’d be looking up words all the time and it wouldn’t be enjoyable.

Happy to have already reached over 200 points – I don’t think I am far off my best Tadoku score (250?). Seeing as my original goal was 300 points, I wonder how far I can push it…

I started reading 科学探偵vs学校の七不思議. It’s another 小学生 level book, but that’s what I have to read to keep lookups at a minimum right now.

Just made it to over 1000 pages and 3 complete books finished (for a total of 10 so far this year). Time to go see what I like the look of from my to-read pile…

3 Likes

I finished listening to 転生したらスライムだった件 1-10 on Audible earlier this month. So last weekend I went out to the bookstore and picked up volume 11 and 12 of the light novel because volume 11+ of the audiobook won’t be out for quite a while.

I was quite surprised with how dense they are. One page contains about double the amount of characters as an average novel in Japanese (700~800 vs 400). Also a bit frustrating that reading is so much slower than listening. The audiobooks I can speed up to about 1.5x speed without getting tired and/or impacting my comprehension. I can’t read as fast and it takes more mental energy. Getting caught up (volume 18) is gonna take quite a while.

Apart from that I’ve also read Hiro Mashima’s new (maybe old by now?) series, EDEN ZERO. I started with the anime and then switched to the manga. I’ll probably wait for a while before I pick it up again. Waiting for a new chapter every week is too much effort for me nowadays. It was entertaining but also not the most interesting manga out there either.

3 Likes

Just finished 科学探偵vs学校の七不思議, which is another book for 小学生. Either I randomly picked an easier one or after 3 similar books this year these are getting easier. :tada:

Sticking to books (no manga!) in this contest, so I’ll move on to another book at the same level. I am tempted to try 怪人二十面相 at some point as it’s a little harder (probably 6th graders, so the final level of 小学生 :laughing:) I still own some easier books though…

Apart from that I’ve also read Hiro Mashima’s new (maybe old by now?) series, EDEN ZERO. I started with the anime and then switched to the manga. I’ll probably wait for a while before I pick it up again.

Interesting, I picked up the first 3 columns for free on Apple Books. I haven’t got round to reading them though…

3 Likes