The What's this Word/Phrase Thread?

Time to recreate my favourite thread from the old forum! (I know I’m weird) While typing this I already worked out the sentence that was confusing me so I no longer have anything to start the thread with. But that doesn’t matter! This thread MUST exist! :triumph:

Post any Japanese questions that don’t seem to deserve there own thread here. E.g. What does “雨が降っている” mean?

3 Likes

But seriously, thanks for re-creating this :smiley: I’ve pinned it to the top of the Japanese category.

Lol, I didn’t want to make a mistake. :relaxed:

1 Like

Ok, actual question.

In the show I’m watching ( Joshu Seven) there’s this character from Kyoto, using lots of regional terms from Kyoto (not just Kansai).

This line catched my eyes, an though I understand the single words, I’m guessing there’s a deeper mening behind

bubutsuke

Any clue guys? about ぶぶ漬け? (It was my card for 漬け, but I after watching a Kyoto ben video I realized it was a set phrase).

ぶぶ漬け is apparently local slang for お茶漬け. There’s an article here about how the phrase ぶぶ漬けはいかがどすか? is supposed to mean そろそろ帰ってください (because, supposedly, お茶漬け is eaten at the end of a meal), but that appears to be an urban legend. According to this article, it’s more supposed to carry a nuance of もう少し、あなたとお話ししたい.

Not sure how that translates in the above context w/o seeing the video, but maybe that gives you a hint. Maybe it’s the character’s way of saying she’s going to stick around a while?

2 Likes

Thanks!! That was a great article. I will rewatch the scene later, as I think I overlooked this dialogue when watching the episode, thinking… “what a weird thing to say” or something like that probably :sweat_smile:

Actually in the Kyoto ben video I watched, the american guy who explain it wasn’t that sure neither about the meaning, he mentioned that if they insisted with the phrase maybe they really wanted you out of the place :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I am guessing at the meaning of a sentence and I remembered there’s a group of people I could actually ask. This is at the end of chapter 9 in 果つる底なき. The narrator works for a bank and his bank has just forced a company into bankruptcy (to put it briefly). That company’s president is a friend of his and the narrator feels extremely upset and powerless. A coworker has handed him a cup of coffee.

「飲め。落ち着くぞ。」

熱い液体が徐々に体に沁み込んで次第に生気を取り戻すまで、私は動く気力さえ失っていた。さまざまな想念と現実が頭の中で混在し、茫洋としたままようやく息をしている、そんな状態だった。

いつ思い出してみても、遠い過去に経験した隔絶した記憶のようにも、まるで昨日経験したばかりの生々しい記憶にも感じられ、私の心をただ混乱させる苦い経験だ

Here is my attempt to translate, then. (Forgive me, I am bad at translation.)

“Drink. Pull yourself together.”

The hot liquid gradually penetrated my body. Up until I revived, I had lost the will even to move. A myriad of thoughts and realities intermingled boundlessly in my head, until finally I was able to take a breath. That was the state I was in.

When I tried to remember (the state?), I could feel the memories like the isolation that I had experienced in the distant past, but fresh as if I had experienced them only yesterday. In my heart there was only bitter experience (that caused chaotic thoughts?).

I don’t feel confident that I have even the barest gist of that bolded sentence. But just to highlight a specific starting point, I’m not sure about is the tense. I think the author is juxtaposing the past tense of the previous sentence - before the coffee worked its magic - against the “now” feeling of the bolded sentence, is that correct?

Mmm, I’m not sure either, so take this with a decent pinch of salt, but my take is that いつ思い出してみても[…]私の心をただ混乱させる苦い経験だ is the narrator telling you (from the point of view of the ‘now’ when he is narrating these events) how he (still) feels whenever he remembers this time/set of events – “a bitter experience that just throws my heart into confusion”.

(It is ‘whenever’, not ‘when’, because of the も. And I think it’s the memories that are isolated, like the kind of fragment of memory of some long-past experience, which is what the author is using as the contrast to ‘fresh like yesterday’.)

2 Likes

Ah, of course, it makes way more sense if the point in time is “now”. I forgot that this whole chapter is his recollection and serves as background for the “now” events. Thanks!

“Whenever I try to remember, it feels both as an isolated memory experienced in the distant past, but also as a very fresh memory as if I experienced it yesterday, making it a bitter experience that only confuses me.”

Things to point out:
It is the memory that is “isolated” not the narrator.
いつ…ても is a very common collocation meaning “whenever I/he/she/you/…”

1 Like

Hey, I have question. It’s about the difference between 洗濯 and 洗濯物, which both would be translated as “laundry”. I understand that 洗濯 is used as a する-verb to mean “to do laundry”, but besides that is there another subtle difference in meaning between those two? Thanks in advance.:grin:

I wouldn’t say that 洗濯 and 洗濯物 point to different kinds of laundry items, but the use range of 洗濯 is wider. While 洗濯物 always refers to the physical laundry items, 洗濯 could shift focus to the act of doing laundry, rather than the items themselves, while grammatically still being used as a noun.

まだ洗濯物が残っているよ only means that there are laundry items left
まだ洗濯が残っているよ there is still laundry left to be done
行く前に、まずは洗濯だ do the laundry before you go

Also note that there are other words that contain 洗濯 such as 洗濯機.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation. I thought something along those lines that 洗濯 always carries the connotation of “doing laundry”.

I would have another question about 洗濯する: If you just want to say “I’m doing laundry.” would you just say 洗濯しています。without a specific object?

Yep, I’d say that’s the go to expression.

If I want to say that I’m doing laundry, can I use 洗濯中?

Would that be weird in written or spoken Japanese?

Yeah expressions like 今洗濯中です should be pretty common. In general words tend to sound more formal or stiff (堅い) when you choose a more kanji-dense expression (i.e. 有意義 vs 意義がある for meaningful). But in this case I think it’s fine either way.

1 Like

While of course the above expressions are perfectly fine, I don’t think I’ve ever heard anything other than 洗濯機を回してる :smiley:

2 Likes

Yeah, I guess the other expressions are pretty uncommon unless you’re actually doing the washing yourself.

%E9%80%81%E3%80%87%E6%B4%97%E5%A4%A7

Can anyone recognize the second character in 送〇洗大?

There are lots of 辶部 漢字 and I don’t know calligraphic forms.