Off Topic Forum?

Just wondering, would an “Off Topic” Forum (like the one they had on the old kanji koohii forums) make sense?

2 Likes

I was going to say that I thought we decided that General Discussion was fine for off-topic stuff, but we don’t have that category. Maybe it disappeared when we were consolidating some of the categories.

A designated place for off-topics would probably be good. I know we decided that it was fine to go off-topic in study logs, but that kind of limits the way a discussion can be initiated…

1 Like

I think I took a pass on creating one at first because several of us had concerns about it become a ragefest, as it sometimes did on the Koohii Forum. I’m game to try it, though. I think we have a pretty good group right now and everyone can handle some respectful OT discussions.

Let me gin one up.

1 Like

Okay, so let’s try this:

https://forum.unseenjapan.com/c/fukubukuro

I’ve currently made it open to everyone. However, if things get too wild, there may be times we lock it down to a certain user Trust Level, Fortunately, Discourse has a richer set of moderation and security controls than Koohii did, so I think we can keep a tight reign on things.

2 Likes

Thanks, I had been meaning to say I think we should have one. If this was just a language learning site I might feel differently, but with the articles constantly raising wider social, political and cultural issues it seems off that there isn’t a space in the forum for such discussions.

1 Like

That’s a good point and something I hadn’t considered. You’re totally right.