New Native Japanese Podcast - N3 Level

My friend, who is a native Japanese speaker, just started a new podcast for Japanese language learners. He is specifically targeting those at the intermediate N3 level. He just started about a week ago, so the structure is still developing. But in the early episodes, he discusses current Japanese news stories, describing them at that oh-so-uncommon intermediate level.

His name is Amao, the podcast is AmaoJapan, and the link is here: https://player.fm/series/amaojapan

You can also access it through the Apple Store podcast list or other podcast directories.

5 Likes

Thanks, nice to have something other than Nihongo con Teppei to listen to :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for this! I tried listening to one of the podcasts and I can understand a lot of it.

Does Amao provide transcriptions somewhere?

1 Like

I don’t think transcripts are available. I believe he generates the content extemporaneously, based on the news content in front of him. Once in a while he will introduce a more complicated word or look up a one-word translation during the podcast. I was going to suggest that he document those “reach” words in the show notes.

2 Likes

It’s great to have another podcast to listen to that’s easy to understand. Please thank your friend :slight_smile:

Out of curiosity, I wonder why a lot of Japanese podcasts have music in the background? It’s not really as common in English podcasts, and as a language learner it just makes it a little bit harder to listen to the speech/pronunciation carefully (this one’s actually not bad, although there are parts where a louder part of the music coincides with a vowel that I can’t catch). I am not sure if I am alone in this respect.

2 Likes

I noticed the music thing as well, and have also heard it in other Japanese podcasts. I’ll mention this cultural difference to him the next time we chat.

3 Likes

Thank you for letting me know I’ll try it for sure!

Nihongo SWiTCH also uses background music (behind monologues) but the recording and mastering is done quite well so the music does not disrupt listening.

I’ve mentioned it before, but check it out if you haven’t tried it yet.

2 Likes

I think there’s a speed control to slow down the audio. I might use that for the parts I don’t get.

Awesome! That is really clear. I only encountered a couple of consonants that landed on a hi-hat clang which were a little bit difficult to catch, BUT it also comes with a transcript which pretty much makes it a non-issue for me. Thanks for recommending this - both podcasts are added to my subscriptions.