Laddr's Study Log

June Results 2021

The month was good but not perfect. Being a summer month there was a week interruption for a trip. I kept up on reviews during that week but otherwise paused. Despite that slowdown I finished the Shadowing series. I was tempted to get another from the same company but instead I am going to break on shadowing for a while. I may go back to it. But instead I will increase my podcast listening by the same amount.

Business Goals

1. Keep up with reviews Done
  2. Listen to podcasts – ~45 min a day Done, mid month I increased this to 1 hr and stopped shadowing
  3. Hello Talk – Daily moments post and at least 1 direct convo a day Done
  4. Add new words from podcast, hello talk, books, shadowing etc to my self made deck Done
  5. Continue shadowing everyday. 15-30 min on average per day, see if I can finish my shadowing series Completed and going to remove next month
  6. 2 italki tutoring sessions per week (30 min+ each)

Pleasure Goals

1. Watch as much Japanese TV/anime as I can Pretty weak this month though I continue to enjoy To Your Eternity and Sweetness & Lightning
  2. Listen to podcasts (active, passive, semi-active) as much as I can Weak

As always love feedback/questions.

2 Likes

July 2021

No shadowing anymore. Upping podcasts. Oh and I started increasing italki. All 1 hour sessions. I find them better than 30 minutes. You can go much deeper in conversations. Let’s see how these tweaks go this month.

Business Goals

1. Keep up with reviews
  2. Listen to podcasts – 1 hour a day
  3. Hello Talk – Daily moments post and reply to all open conversations
  4. Add new words from podcast, hello talk, italki, etc to my self made deck
  5. 2 italki tutoring sessions per week (1 hr each)

Pleasure Goals

1. Watch as much Japanese TV/anime as I can
  2. Listen to podcasts (active, passive, semi-active) as much as I can

1 Like

July 2021 Results

Good month. It was a little off because of a couple short trips during the month where for a few days I just did reviews but no podcasts. But other than those days I worked pretty hard and even did some decent pleasure watching.

Business Goals

1. Keep up with reviews DONE
  2. Listen to podcasts – 1 hour a day Done, I am really liking the increased time here
  3. Hello Talk – Daily moments post and reply to all open conversations Done
  4. Add new words from podcast, hello talk, italki, etc to my self made deck Done adding 5+ a day
  5. 2 italki tutoring sessions per week (1 hr each) Done

Pleasure Goals

1. Watch as much Japanese TV/anime as I can I watched some ghibli on HBOmax, a couple animes as well
  2. Listen to podcasts (active, passive, semi-active) as much as I can Had some time to crank through some more advanced podcasts and just listen and not worry about focusing too hard or adding cards

1 Like

August 2021

This month is going to be very similar to July, no tweaks, just keeping at it. I feel like I am continually making slow but steady progress with these current goals so since it is working I am not going to mess with it.

Business Goals

1. Keep up with reviews

Pleasure Goals

3 Likes

Slow but steady works! 頑張れ!

An hour a day of podcasts is pretty intense. I can’t manage such dedication! I can in English though :laughing:

Good to see you’re liking the 1 hour lessons – they do work better. You can talk more in depth or cover more grammar, questions, etc. I often find my mind starts “thinking Japanese” more than day if I do one in the morning too.

1 Like

Thanks that is good to hear. The difference maker for me was level of content. I was always told immersion is key it doesn’t really matter what it is or the level. There is probably truth to that. But for me when I started finding stuff at my level it was the real game changer. I was able to enjoy it much more and slowly ratched up the difficulty without making my brain hurt. At first I would do just 20 minutes but over time I added 10 minutes or so until now I am up to an hour a day.

First I listened to all of Nihongo con teppei beginner, then I did all of this intermediate, then all of his Teppei & Noriko conversations which is like intermediate+. Now that I am through all that I am listening to Noriko’s podcast from start to finish which is a nice change. Listening to podcasts still feels super effective for me.

1 Like

August 2021 Results

Good month overall. Always managing to get the business goals done but not as much pleasure reading/watching as I would hope.

Business Goals

1. Keep up with reviews - DONE
  2. Listen to podcasts – 1 hour a day - DONE
  3. Hello Talk – Daily moments post and reply to all open conversations - DONE
  4. Add new words from podcast, hello talk, italki, etc to my self made deck - DONE, trying to limit it to 5 new words a day to keep reviews down
  5. 2 italki tutoring sessions per week (1 hr each) - DONE

Pleasure Goals

1. Watch as much Japanese TV/anime as I can - Enjoying To your eternity on crunchyroll, watching ghibli movies slowly on hbomax
  2. Listen to podcasts (active, passive, semi-active) as much as I can Maybe a few hours extra a month here

September 2021

Not exciting, goals really unchanged. I am still really enjoying everything. About half way through Noriko’s podcasts now. Still will probably take me 2 more months to catch up. Luckily found another new learner podcast to try afterwards.

Business Goals

1. Keep up with reviews

Pleasure Goals

1 Like