Josh's Study Log

When I started to a RTK Anki deck some time ago, I decided to also start a real study log once I reach the halfway point. Currently I’m even further at around 1500 kanji cards. I can definitely see the usefulness over my previous approach. Though I didn’t learn any new vocab during that time, simply being able to look at a text and seeing more Kanji that I’m actually familiar with and have some sort of connection with is quite the confidence boost.

For the start I have a couple of goals I’m aiming for:

• Finish my college Japanese course (I’m about to finish the second of three courses)
  • Volunteer at the local Japanese film festival near my hometown
  • Do the JLPT N3(?) in summer next year (I’m not really sure at the moment which level I should aim for, so I’m aiming optimistically :thinking:)
  • Vacation/Travel and Work in Japan after my graduation next year

I have a rough outline of how I want to go about learning going forward. I will finish the rest of the RTK Deck (hopefully sometime around July) and have started with the Jalup Beginner Deck. I also really want to increase my immersion through more active listening (music, podcast, anime, etc.), more reading (I’ve got a whole lot of manga from BookWalker, so I’m probably starting with some slice of life, and school-life manga), and more exercises regarding grammar with the help of the Genki Book and Workbook which we are using for my Japanese course.

Current Study Status:

RTK Anki Deck: 1571 (of 2200), 852 Mature
Jalup: Beginner 240 (of 1000)
Genki: Chapter 10

Weekly Goals:

• Min. 20 Jalup Cards per day
  • 5 NHK Web Easy articles
  • Review Genki Chapter 9 & 10
  • Start Reading an easy Manga
  • 70 Anki Cards of new Vocab/Grammar from my immersion
3 Likes

Bit of a hectic couple weeks at the moment. Today I had a couple exams. And I still have to write two term papers. In addition I’m moving next week, so I didn’t quite manage to achieve all my goals.

• Min. 20 Jalup Cards per day ✓
  • 5 NHK Web Easy articles X
  • Review Genki Chapter 9 & 10 ✓
  • Start Reading an easy Manga X
  • 70 Anki Cards of new Vocab/Grammar from my immersion X

But I did manage to read a couple more NHK Easy articles, and I started a document for all my immersion vocab, so that’s a plus. I think starting to read a manga has to wait until the end of July when I’m in my new apartment.

Weekly Goals:

• 5 NHK Web Easy articles
  • 60 Anki Cards of new Vocab/Grammar from my immersion
1 Like

Finally got a chance to update my log after some stressful weeks. I’m pretty happy about last week. On Sunday I pretty much took the day off, but besides that I managed to read a NHK article everyday and get my 20 Jalup cards in. I also finally started my own Immersion Deck which mostly consists of words I come across in the NHK articles. Because both Jalup and my Immersion deck mostly cover recognition, I’m also considering starting a new deck with just the reading on the front and I have to write the kanji, so I can practice more writing again. I’ve also didn’t yet manage to start reading a Manga. I think I might just start Yotsubato, considering every other Manga I try to read, which at least superficially seems as if it should be manageable for me to understand is still too hard.

• Min. 20 Jalup Cards per day ✓
  • 6 NHK Web Easy articles ✓
  • 40/60 Anki Cards of new Vocab/Grammar from my immersion X

Weekly Goals:

• 6 NHK Web Easy articles
  • 60 Anki Cards of new Vocab/Grammar from my immersion
  • Start Yotsubato Vol. 1
  • Start Kanji Production Deck
2 Likes