HelenF's Study Log

I didn’t have one on Koohii, but going to start now :slight_smile:

Background

I first started learning Japanese in 2009. I’ve been rather intermittent with it, including some long stretches of hardly studying while I was busy with other things, and I don’t have much idea of how much time I’ve really put in. As far as I remember, it went something like this:

• RTK classic method with Koohii community stories. I wasn’t even serious about learning Japanese at first - I’d heard that kanji were super hard, and was curious about whether this weird method really did what it claimed.
  • Learned kana and did some pronunciation practice using sentences with audio.
  • Started reading Tae Kim’s grammar guide.
  • Did about 1000 sentence-reading cards from Core 2K.
  • Switched to vocab-reading cards, selected from things I was trying to read. (I started using Yomichan for Chrome when it was released later.)
  • Worked through the dialogs from Japanesepod101 up to Beginner level (dialog track + PDF, ignoring the podcast), adding vocab to Anki and re-listening to previous audio.
  • Worked through a good proportion of the JW’s わたしの聖書物語の本, adding vocab to Anki and re-listening to previous audio. A lot of the grammar was a mystery until much later…
  • Along the way, Satori Reader was released, and I’ve been following it enthusiastically, adding vocab to Anki and re-listening to previous audio.
  • Worked through “Japanese Sentence Patterns for Effective Communication”, with some E-J production cards. (I’d tried to read this book before, but found it had too much unknown vocab until recently.)
  • After a while on Satori Reader, native material started to feel possible, but I’m still only reading small amounts. I need to increase this a lot for the next stage.
  • I’m watching anime on Crunchyroll, each episode twice, unsubbed followed by English subs.

Current

Anki vocab: 5694 active, 5481 mature, 418 overdue.

Anime: Currently watching “That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime” (up to #19) and “The Rising of the Shield Hero” (up to #7).

Reading: Not much recently. I think I’ll return to it by looking at Yotsubato! again (I have the first 5 as paper books).

5 Likes

Reading: The second half of Yotsubato! book 5 (picked up where I left off), and just looped back around to book 1 for a second read-through. Haven’t looked at this for a while, so will see if it makes more sense now!

Anime: Shield Hero #8-9.

I forgot to mention in the first post: a few months ago I watched some of Cure Dolly’s “Japanese from Scratch” Youtube series, and it helped a lot! This week I watched #24 (sou).

(I think Anki stats make more sense at a lower frequency, e.g. once a month.)

In summer 2017, I wrote some Anki addons related to Japanese study. Of course, they are in need of updates. I got derailed twice by medical issues, and now I seem to have some kind of mental block here. This week I’m just making a point of looking at them every day…

1 Like

Reading: A bit over halfway re-reading Yotsubato! book 1. I’m mostly understanding it this time around.

Anime: Shield Hero #10.

Anki: I actually cleared the backlog on my vocab deck! I’ve been following “Secret” and “Hole in the Wall” on Satori Reader, and adding most of the vocab to Anki with Yomichan.

Addons: Sort of starting to remember what I was doing. I also replied to a new ticket.

1 Like

Reading: Up to about 1/3 of Yotsubato! book 2 re-reading.

Anime: Slime #20.

Anki: Cleared all the backlogs except RTK.

Addons: Got some things moving a little bit.

3 Likes

Reading: Rest of Yotsubato! book 2 re-reading, plus a few pages of a game manual.

Anime: None this week :frowning:

Anki: Got a little behind again.
Monthly stats added next day: 5735 active (+41), 5543 mature (+62), 49 new.
I was going to say that meant 8 removed, but more were suspended/unsuspended.

Addons: Still tiny-but-nonzero progress.

Reading: Most of Yotsubato! book 3 re-reading (just a few pages left).

Re-listening: It was a good time to get back to this. Listened to the whole of “Koibito” from Satori Reader (88 minutes).

Anime: None again - what am I doing here?

Anki: Caught back up with all except RTK.

Addons: Started working on KanjiVocab for Anki 2.1.

Reading: Yotsubato! book 4 re-reading, though I skipped some parts that I don’t like.

Re-listening: “Kona’s Big Adventure” from Satori Reader, #1-28 of 45 (43 minutes).

Anime: Slime #21.

Anki: Ticking over.

Addons: Great news! I dealt with the pull request on JSentenceHighlighter, and updated KanjiVocab for Anki 2.1. I still have some testing to do here, but I think it’s basically there.

1 Like

Reading: Yotsubato! book 5 re-reading.

Re-listening: 49 minutes from Satori Reader: “Kona’s Big Adventure” #29-45 of 45, and “Sanzu no Kawa” #1-9 of 20.

Anime: Slime #22.

Anki: Ticking over.

Addons: Only a little this week. Tried highlighting multiple matches in JSentenceHighlighter, but my first idea didn’t work out.

Reading: Most of “Attack on Titan” manga book 1 (re-reading?).
I’d like to read some books in English too. So at the end of this book, I’ll read an English book or two, then come back to Japanese again. I’m thinking around a week in each language, switching at good stopping-places.

Re-listening: 42 minutes from Satori Reader: “Sanzu no Kawa” #10-20 of 20, and all of “The Neighbor”.

Anime: Slime #23-24.

Anki: Finished adding vocab from わたしの聖書物語の本. Probably a lot of words in there which won’t be much use, but I was almost done since ages ago, and it’ll be nice to have the whole book to re-listen to!

Addons:
JSentenceHighlighter: succeeded at highlighting multiple matches, and fixed a bug on Windows.
KanjiVocab: fixed a bug, and discussed some design for improvement.

2 Likes

Reading: Finished off last week’s book, then some English.

Re-listening: JW Bible Stories #1-9 (36 minutes).

Anime: Slime #24.5; Attack on Titan #50-51.

Addons: Taking a break for a week.

Monthly Anki vocab: 5748 active (+13), 5554 mature (+11), 24 new.

Reading: The English book took longer than expected. Maybe I should have split it into two parts.

Re-listening: JW Bible Stories #10-19 (43 minutes).

Anime: None this week.

Addons:
JSentenceHighlighter: fixed a bug.
KanjiVocab: added options for including unknown words in the output.

Reading: Had a go at chapters #2-9 of the Slime web novel using Yomichan (looked at #0-1 previously). Kept paper book bedtime reading in English.

Re-listening: JW Bible Stories #20-32 (50 minutes).

Anime: Attack on Titan #52; Shield Hero #11.

Other: Watched Cure Dolly’s Japanese From Scratch #25-29.

Reading: Attack on Titan manga: half of book 2.

Re-listening: JW Bible Stories #33-44 (52 minutes).

Anime: Attack on Titan #53; Shield Hero #12.

Addons: KanjiVocab: added ability to freeze certain cards.

Reading:
Paper: Attack on Titan manga: second half of book 2.
Web: Shield Hero #1-7; Slime #10.

Re-listening: JW Bible Stories #45-52 (36 minutes).

Anime: Attack on Titan #54; Shield Hero #13.

Monthly Anki vocab: 5832 active (+84), 5627 mature (+73), 134 new.

Reading:
Paper: Attack on Titan manga: started book 3.
Web: Shield Hero #8-9. And then decided this is not a good idea yet. Too much unknown vocab (while Slime is even harder), and I’m getting a sense that pronunciation issues are starting to creep in. I’d better focus more on things with audio.

Re-listening: JW Bible Stories #53-59 (39 minutes).

Anime: Attack on Titan #55.

Addons: KanjiVocab testing and AnkiWeb release.

1 Like

Reading:
Paper: Attack on Titan manga: rest of book 3.
And I’m putting a pause on reading without audio for now.

Re-listening: JW Bible Stories #60-72 (58 minutes) - mostly following along with the text.

Anime: Attack on Titan #56 (55-56 is what we were all waiting for, yay!); Shield Hero #14.

Addons: Hunting a bug in “Deck Counts Now/Later”.

Re-listening: JW Bible Stories #73-80 (42 minutes) following along with the text.

And apart from Anki, I didn’t really do any more Japanese in the last week. Try again this week!

Re-listening: JW Bible Stories #81-87 (39 minutes) following along with the text.

Monthly Anki vocab: 5882 active (+50), 5704 mature (+77), 70 new.

I started experimenting with Listening-Reading on Harry Potter. Listened to Chapter 1 with Japanese text, and partway through that chapter with English text. As a beginner learning method, they say you need to do a lot in a short time; but if I know enough Japanese to have some idea what’s going on, I think doing a little could still help.

Re-listening: JW Bible Stories #88-94 (35 minutes) following along with the text.

Anime: Attack on Titan #57-58.

L-R: Finished off Harry Potter chapter 1 with English text; listened to chapter 2 with Japanese and then English text. It’s getting a little clearer now.

1 Like

Re-listening: JW Bible Stories #95-100 (24 minutes). I mostly went back to just listening.

Anime: Attack on Titan #59.

L-R: Harry Potter chapters 3, 4, half of 5, with English text (2 hours). This is more fun than I expected :slight_smile: . I think I’ll run through the whole book with English text first, and possibly even more than one book.

1 Like