Forum categories list

The Kanji Koohii forum helped me discover many useful apps and tools, such as MorphMan, nazeka, and Kanji Ryokucha. Back there they were grouped under Learning Resources. Maybe we’ll need a similar category to keep things organized here.

2 Likes

Agreed - that’s a great idea.

Are you interested in moderating again? If so I can promote you.

Sure, I accept. I’m still learning how to be a good moderator, but hopefully we won’t need expert-level conflict resolution skills here for a while.

2 Likes

Done. With great power blah blah blah…

I added a Learning Resources cat, and also started grouping categories together, so we can add a larger number of Japanese language cats without flooding the main Categories list.

I’m going to look later to see if I can control the display order for categories so that the two main categories float to the top.

@fkb9g - I went ahead and reorganized the categories, and tried to make the categories page itself pretty-ish.

https://forum.unseenjapan.com/categories

What does everyone think about the sub-categories under Japanese Language? Do we need more?

I hate to answer with a question, but do these common types of threads have a home?

• JLPT group threads
  • Other test/contest threads (i.e. J-CAT or Tadoku(RIP))
  • Translation requests (or “I got this tattoo while I was drunk, please tell me it doesn’t say something stupid”)

I don’t see where those would fit, at the moment; maybe missing one or two categories. What do y’all think?

1 Like

I could definitely see a Category for Testing, and another for Working in Japan. The latter I can put under the Unseen Japan group, which I can just rename “Japan”.

Translation requests could just be a pinned thread - that’s how it’s handled in Koohii.

Where would conversations about language contests fall under? I’m currently working on a new version of Tadoku and it would be nice if there was still a place to talk about the contest.

1 Like

We can make it a topic under the general Japanese category. Posts don’t have to go into a sub-category - it’s just a convenient way to bucket the more common types of posts.

1 Like

Bumping back to the top of the page…

I suggest revising the category colors. There are three blue categories right now.

Good point - I’ll work on that this weekend.

This is done - all categories now have their own color.

I also deleted News Feed Comments, which was a topic for our articles from AFP. I’m now just putting them into UnseenJapan.com Discussion to help generate comments on them.