2021 Goals?

Pretty much the title.

Anything specific to Japanese in your new year’s resolutions? Read your first book, go to Japan, take a class, try the JLPT or Kantei, finish some Anki deck, etc.

It’s always interesting to revisit these threads :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I mentioned this in my study log, but my only Japanese goal for the year is to keep going at it. Nothing specific or grand, just keep enjoying the things I enjoy and learn what comes along with it.

1 Like

The biggest change for me this year is ramping up my speaking practice. Start this Thursday with italki. Nervous but I think it will really move the needle forward for me.

2 Likes

Mostly reading for me, I think I need to set my books target lower but this time with more ‘quality’ – for example, finishing a book, reading more wordy content.

My listening still lags behind, so I guess I should really start ploughing my way through more JP subtitled (or not) content.

Since I don’t know my N3 result, the first goal will be to pass N3! Then a real attempt at N2 at the end of the year. Right now, just the name is rather daunting.

Speaking always seems to be the final hurdle がんばれ!

3 Likes

Thanks. For listening if you asked me 6 months ago I was suffering there as well. I spent the last 6 months doing a ton of podcasts and finally am making serious progress. So for me podcasts at the right level was the trick. Nihongo Con Teppei. Before that I was trying harder stuff and it was slow going.

1 Like

For this year I would like to read at least 52 Japanese novels and write reviews for each one.

Also am planning on moving to Japan in a few years and would like to work on saving as much money as a can before I move.

1 Like

I did this a couple of years back (but without the review-writing part!) – for me it was a challenging but achievable goal. My recommendation is to work backwards from the annual target to define a benchmark for how many pages you need to aim to read every day – I figured a book was on average about 350 pages, and 52 books is one a week, so I knew I had to read at least 50 pages a day. For me a daily goal was psychologically more useful, and it gave immediate feedback on whether I was on target for the overall goal. I also found the Tadoku contests good for motivation to put in occasional bursts of more intensive reading, which I needed to catch back up from drifting below my target daily average sometimes.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips! Yeah having page goals is really useful. I work 12-16 hour shifts 3 times a week so have an idea of the average number of pages I have to read on my days off are super important.

Yes! I really like using Tadoku as a tracker for pages. Its really fun and motivating to see everyone else trying hard and putting in the time as well.

What is your reading like now?

I can read most modern fiction fairly easily without a dictionary (which doesn’t mean I know all the words in it!). There are definitely some books that I make much slower progress through than others, though – I have some historical fiction which is a huge slog because of all the unfamiliar personal and place names and other words.

It’s hard to say what effect my book-a-week year had – it certainly didn’t cause a huge step change in either reading fluency or speed that I’ve noticed, though the total volume read must have helped my vocab, etc. I think that’s because it was really just putting in more time reading rather than having some breakthrough in reading speed – my “average-to-good year” before that year was about 20-25 books, and that hasn’t changed.